Rolf Structural Integration, Rolfing, is a type of bodywork that focuses on the connective tissue, or fascia, of the body. Fascia surrounds muscles, groups of muscles, blood vessels, organs, and nerves, binding some structures together while permitting others to slide smoothly over each other.
Fascia is designed to be elastic and move freely with muscles and bones. Injury, stress, work-related repetitive movements and the effects of aging can cause fascia to lose its elasticity and become shorter, tighter, and more dense. Tightened fascia pulls our muscles and skeleton out of proper alignment and posture, which can cause pain, discomfort, and fatigue.
Rolf Structural Integration works to lengthen, stretch, and soften this tissue to restore postural balance, ease of movement, and a feeling of being more at home in your own body. It is practiced in an organized series of sessions or individual sessions within a framework that is designed to restore postural balance by aligning and integrating the body in gravity. Rolf Structural Integration is based on the work of Dr. Ida P. Rolf.
What are the benefits of Rolf Structural Integration?
This therapy is unique and unsurpassed in its ability to dramatically alter a person's posture and body structure. Physical performers such as athletes or dancers use it as a way to enhance their performances. People with stress or chronic pain can have their symptoms greatly relieved or eliminated entirely. Almost everyone will benefit in some way from these treatments. The following are some of the ways it may benefit you:
Enhanced athletic performance due to:
• Relief from posture-related pain
• Relief from joint problems
• Improved mechanical efficiency
• Improved coordination
• Greater flexibility
• Heightened body awareness
Increased physiological efficiency due to improved:
• Sleep patterns
Improved alignment and appearance through prevention of:
• Pain and stiffness associated with aging
• Stooping and compression associated with aging
• Skin, muscles, and organs sagging from poor posture
Improved psychological efficiency:
• Increased energy
• You feel good
• You may experience growth through self-insight
Structural Integration can also:
• Accelerate injury recovery times
• Effectively deepen practices such as meditation and yoga
People have reported feeling relief from:
• Carpal tunnel syndrome
• Lower back pain
• Spinal curvature
• Joint stiffness
• TMJ pain
• Visceral position and tissue restrictions
• Foot problems
• Aches or pains in areas such as the neck, shoulders, hips, back, arms, legs etc.
• Stress, tension and stiffness
• Poor posture
• Lack of energy/vitality (living and working below inherent potential).
New to Structural Integration?